Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mother Nature Knocking

Last night I slept behind an abandoned building that had formerly housed a kickboxing school.  Call me superstitious, but I thought that perhaps the energy of  the former owners and students would help protect me while I slept.

I did sleep, although it was fitfully.  Last night it was about 24-27 degrees cold, and I had to sleep on a concrete slab.  I  went to sleep in my jeans and short sleeve shirt and used my leather jacket to cover my head and the upper half of my body.  I awoke about every hour to hour and a half, violently shivering form the cold.  At one point my feet must have frozen, because I had a hard time feeling them when I awoke in the morning.

When I say awoke in the morning, I don’t mean that I woke on my own.  What woke me was something landing on the top of the leather jacket right where my head was.  I was startled awake and defensively threw my jacket up and away from my head, which had the effect of startling whatever had been on top of my jacket. When I glanced up (hoping it wasn’t some rapid dog or some-such) I saw a bird flying away to land on an electric wire.  Upon landing, it turned back to me and cawed, whether in laughter or in derision I don’t know.  Perhaps it was mother nature’s way of telling me that I need to wake up and get moving.  Either way, I think that mother nature is not near out of touch with us as we are with her.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

crows are very smart. it was mother nature looking out for you. hehe!

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

very cool. God bless.

CafeCupid Heidi said...

What a story, yes in life things can happen but the animals can understand those things much better than us. Hope we all could have just a little bit of those instincts.